Gmail and the Tabbed Inbox
In 2013, Gmail introduced the Tabbed Inbox. This tabbed inbox has caused a lot of consternation for my clients and it is having a negative impact on email opens.
Recently, a client contacted me and said that a number of people are not receiving his newsletter. I double-checked and triple checked…
- The people are on his list.
- The email program indicates they received the email.
- BUT those emails were not opened.
Did the dog eat the emails?
After a little research, I was able to find the problem. He had the tabs on in his Gmail inbox. If you are having a similar problem have your clients check their Gmail account to see if the tabs function is active.
How do I turn my tabbed inbox off?
Are you using Gmail? Do you have a tabbed inbox? I was surprised by how many Gmail users didn’t know. I did a 2-minute video that answers the question and gives you the remedy.
Click below to watch.
If you follow written instruction better, see them below.
- Log into your Gmail account
- See the horizontal tabs in your inbox (i.e. Primary, Social, Promotions, Updates, Forums)
- Go to your settings. The settings gear icon is in the top right corner.
- Click on “configure inbox”
- Uncheck any tabs you do not want to use
- Click “Save”
- Now everything should show up in your inbox with no tabs.
This tip is definitely a preference tips. Now that you know what and where the tabbed inbox labels are, you may want to use the feature.
Want help getting your mailbox in order? Contact me today.